Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A new name added - and a new face

I have added a page for John Ellis after I was contacted by his granddaughter. Although his name does not appear in Chailey's parish magazine as being connected to the parish, his brother William Ellis, certainly was. I am more than happy though to commemorate John on my website and will apply the same artistic licence to "connected to" that Reverend Jellicoe used 92 years ago. The three Ellis brothers (Searles was the third brother), were almost certainly career soldiers but only two of them would survive the war. John was killed in action in August 1917 during the Battle of Passchendaele and is commemorated on the Menin Gate and the war memorial at Fletching, Sussex where he was born and lived. In due course I will include additional information on his page about the battle in which he was killed.

I have also added a photo to William James Brazier's page after a fellow member of the Great War Forum contacted me. Precise information about the circumstances of his death have also been included. The photo may not be that of Corporal Brazier however and verification is needed.

No comments: