Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Chailey Heritage during WW1



Chailey Heritage's role during WW1 has always been beyond the scope of my research project. (I have researched Hickwells and Beechlands VAD hospitals but never Chailey Heritage). I do however, have some notes on Chailey Heritage during WW1 and today, quite out of the blue, I received this undated photograph of the "interior of the Princess Louise Military Wards, Heritage Colony, Chailey."

The following from my notes and transcripts of contemporary newspaper articles:

Friday June 11th 1915 [East Sussex News]
[Report that the Haywards Heath Band, accompanied by a number of the bandsmen of the 2/9th Manchester Battalion, visited the Heritage, North Common on Saturday, to play for the wounded soldiers and crippled boys there.]

March 14th 1916 - Page 7 [Mid-Sussex Times]
The Heritage Schools Chailey
EDUCATIVE CONVALESCENCE FOR WOUNDED MILITARY MEN
Among the war problems which are becoming increasingly pertinent, is that of the industrial position of the wounded soldier after the war. As it is obvious that a solution cannot be left until the fighting is over, an experiment in educative convalescence for our gallant, but maimed, lads has been originated at the Heritage Craft Schools for Crippled Children at Chailey, which are carried on in connection with The Guild of Brave Poor Things. Here are situated the Princess Louise Military Wards for wounded men, and the effort on behalf of their inmates has proved to have an enormous value. It has brought out the unique opportunity of testing the men in the use of new limbs and unaccustomed artificial apparatus in the workshops side by side with crippled boys similarly afflicted. The suggestiveness of the Scheme bears the hall mark of genius as well as novelty, but unquestionably the men learn much, unconsciously, from the attitude of the boys.


I have other photos of Chailey Heritage during WW1 tucked away somewhere and in due course I'll scan these and post them here.

My thanks to Jim Type for a) remembering me and b) sending me the photo that I've used on this page. Jim's relatives, Albert Heasman, Frederick Heasman and Gilbert Heasman, and Henry Downing all have pages on the main Chailey 1914-1918 website.

British Army WW1 Records

3 comments:

Barry Groves said...

I am looking for any information on Lt. William Herbert Stuart Garnett and Kenneth George Garnett, two brothers. William died 21/9/1916 and Kenneth 22/8/1917. There ia a commemorative plaque at Chailey Heritage School and I assume Kenneth (who was seriously injured for a year before he died) was hospitalised at Chailey. Barry Groves barry.groves@virgin.net

Paul Nixon said...

I don't have anything on these men I'm afraid. However, there are extensive biographies of both in De Ruvigny's RoH which I'll post on this blog later today. You'll also find their service records at The National Archives.

Kenneth was wounded in the neck and paralysed at Delville Wood in August 1916.

Sheila said...

My sister-in-law Janet Wilkins is Chairman of Chailey Old Scolars Association and is trying to find out the names of the 28 old boys who were killed in WW1. Would you have access to this information. My e-mail address is roger.sharman@ntlworld.com
Many thanks Sheila Sharman